Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 03:10:16PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2001, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > I have however other problems with ttf fonts - they are
> > EXTREMELY slow. When I use arialuni.ttf (25MB font with the best
> > unicode coverage) as main font in konqueror, just drawing a page
> > in ASCII takes 2 minutes (PIII 600 MHz). During those 2
> > minutes, X are unresponding, I cannot even switch to the console.
> > Using fontserver at least allows me to switch to the console,
> > and using -deferglyphs all helped a bit, but really only a bit.
>
> Use the xfs-xtt font server (which does well with really big fonts, unlike
> the xfsft crap), do not allow the X server to touch such heavy fonts.  Also,

No big change in this regard (maybe a tad faster, but not much).
However, there was one noticeable change (may be a bug in
konqueror though): with xfs-xtt, konqueror stretches pages vertically by a
factor of something like 100 times ! So you have heading, then several
tens of blank pages, then first paragraph, then several blank
pages etc...

> setting deferglyphs=16 in both the X server and the font server might save
> you a lot of grief.

I have deferglyphs=all

> > mode and console unusable. This does not seem to happen when I limit
> > myself to non-UCS fonts.
>
> Well, the UCS codepath is not as widely used and tested as the ISO-8859
> ones; and CJK fonts (as well as unicode fonts, obviously) sometimes make
> very have usage of features of the ttf spec that "easy" fonts will not
> touch...
>
> I repeat: do not allow the X server to even touch ttf fonts, or you risk
> crashes. Use the xfs-xtt font server instead (at least, when it crashes, it

ok, I removed references to freetype module from xfree86config and I
will see if it helps (but, path to font server was at the beginning,
so I guess X was not getting to the fonts)