Re: reopening ECN bugreport/netbase

> Another option, which would require a minor patch to the kernel, would be
> to have ECN default to disabled even when compiled into the kernel (and
> thus require an explit 'echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn' to enable).
> This'd be analagous to the current behaviour with IP forwarding.

Eduard Bloch suggested this on 9/2, though it took me a
while to understand what he meant:

  Good. The problem - it is on by default in our precompiled kernel-image
  packages. To disable (by default), you have to remove ECN support from
  kernel or either patch the kernel to make int off-as-default (*) or put
  in in the template of sysctl.conf.

  (*) I doubt Herbert Xu would like such modifications.

And Herbert replied on 9/3:

  2. The kernel will not be patched to disable it by default with INET_ECN
  compiled in as the same thing can be easily achieved from user space.

It could be a nice solution that would satisfy my insane
desire that enabling ECN should be a one-step process -
either in kernel configuration or by manually editing
sysctl.conf.

-neil