Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On 05-Sep-01, 07:09 (EDT), Nick Phillips <nwp@lemon-computing.com> wrote:
> If you look at it logically, *everything* that has to do with translations
> is quite distinct from the other tasks relating to package maintenance.
>
> The translation of any part of a package, be it the text of error messages,
> the text in control, or the text in debconf templates, does not need to
> be part of the package, and hence certainly shouldn't have to be. The
> translations can easily be completely abstracted from the package itself,
> and that relieves the maintainer from having to have anything to do with them.

I disagree with this. Translation of text that is part of the upstream
source needs[1] to go to/through the maintainer, as it should be
integrated upstream.

Steve

[1] Okay, it *could* be sent directly upstream, but often the debian
maintainer has an established relationship to the upstream author,
and may be able to fit them into the package more cleanly.