Re: new proposal: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:24:41PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I don't know enough about gettext - am I assuming correctly that in
> > the .mo file, the English translation is replaced with a checksum or
> > similar, so you do not need to store the complete English translation?
>
> Gettext normally uses the entire untranslated string as the key in the .mo
> file.  This has many advantages when dealing with translation of strings in
> programs, where the untranslated string is actually present in the program
> source, and this is a big reason the GNU project favors gettext over catgets
> systems found on other Unices.  It makes less sense in the case of package
> descriptions, however, because we're effectively doing two lookups -- first to
> find the English description in Packages.gz using the package name and version
> as a key, then to find the translated description in the .mo file using the
> English description as a key.

yes, you must two lookups. First in the package db (normal in the
menory) and (if LANG is set) make a second lookup with gettext.

But this not a big problem, or is there a problem?

If you put the translated text only in the db, and you don't use the
english text as key (like gettext) you get maybe outdated translation.

And better a untranslated text than a wrong translation.

> > For the binary package, I don't know... - Gnome and KDE do include all
> > translations, and I think it's easier to handle. Additionally, disc
> > space is really cheap these days, so maybe it would be better just to
> > include all the descriptions, too.
>
> I think it does belong in the binary package; if not, I'm not sure why we
> would want it in the source package at all.  I believe translated descriptions
> have just as much reason for inclusion in the binary package's control file
> (or in a functional equivalent) as the rest of the informational stuff that's
> in there.
>
> If translated Description: fields in binary packages are not important, then
> why do we currently have the untranslated Description: in the control file?

yes, If we add the translation in the source, we should also add it in
the normal deb.

Gruss
Grisu
"Nicht geschehene Taten ziehen oft einen erstaunlichen Mangel an Folgen
 nach sich."             --   S.J. Lec