Re: new proposal: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Michael Bramer wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:24:41PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > I don't know enough about gettext - am I assuming correctly that in
> > > the .mo file, the English translation is replaced with a checksum or
> > > similar, so you do not need to store the complete English translation?

> > Gettext normally uses the entire untranslated string as the key in the .mo
> > file.  This has many advantages when dealing with translation of strings in
> > programs, where the untranslated string is actually present in the program
> > source, and this is a big reason the GNU project favors gettext over catgets
> > systems found on other Unices.  It makes less sense in the case of package
> > descriptions, however, because we're effectively doing two lookups -- first to
> > find the English description in Packages.gz using the package name and version
> > as a key, then to find the translated description in the .mo file using the
> > English description as a key.

> yes, you must two lookups. First in the package db (normal in the
> menory) and (if LANG is set) make a second lookup with gettext.

> But this not a big problem, or is there a problem?

It casts doubt on the argument that gettext is a good solution here.  Just
because gettext is the optimal solution for translation of messages within
programs does not mean it's the best solution for package translations.  I'm
personally willing to do a little wheel-engineering if it leads to a more
elegant result.

> If you put the translated text only in the db, and you don't use the
> english text as key (like gettext) you get maybe outdated translation.

Only if the implementation is poor.  The accuracy of a translation can be
verified in the process of assembling the file that is to be made available to
user machines (whether that file is Packages.gz, or debian-descs.mo, or
whatever).  Obviously the /inputs/ used to create this file must include
mappings of English string -> translated string, but these mappings need not
be retained in the output file.  We only need to make sure once that the
translation is up-to-date, not every time the user runs dpkg, because each
version of each package can have only one untranslated description associated
with it -- it's a unique key, by definition.

If nothing else, perhaps you would consider that a .mo file containing
[untranslated string -> translation] mappings will on average be almost twice
as large as a .mo file containing [(package name,version) -> translation]
mappings. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer