Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:

> > package, so rather that send you a message in BR language (which you
> > probably can't read) you get the English form letter.  Overall, better to
> > get a form letter in a language you can read, than a personally written
> > email in a language you can't read.
> well, that's what people wanted and asked for in this list...

This is more a response to Vince, than Gustavo:

How can you know what language is native for a maintainer, based on the
package name?  Sending an english form-letter to <pkg>@packages seems wrong,
and against what this whole idea is about.

I would rather see support added to dpkg first, for storing this info(make all
tools in dpkg(this includes dpkg-dev(which stores the data into the .deb) do
this), then work on displaying this info.  I am very much against this hackish
end-run around what are open-development tools.

Adam, who is a dpkg developer.