Re: libgal sonames

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 03:38:27PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> The problem is not in gal, but in stable applications depending on it.
> In fact, libgal is only intended to be used by gnumeric and evolution.
> Even more, libgal is just developed for evolution, so if tomorrow
> evolution needs a binary-incompatible change in libgal, it will be done,
> no matter what applications would be broken because of this, so expect
> to see this pace of major versions for a long time. As I said, libgal is
> not a "normal" library in the sense that it's got a published API that
> applications can rely on; it is just a shared code repository for
> evolution and gnumeric.

Ok you probably have a point there. Does this mean you think we should file a
bug against all packages (except evolution and gnumeric) that use libgal?

Although many people are suggesting keeping multiple versions of libgal in
Debian, I think that's not really a Good solution.

  Guus Sliepen <guus@sliepen.warande.net>