Re: libgal sonames

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:48:45AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:

> Norbert Veber <nveber@debian.org> wrote:
> > Every time you change the soname, and the new version is installed in the
> > debian archive, the old one is removed.  At that point 22 (at the latest
> > count) different debian packages need to be recompiled.  Some of them are
> > quite large.
>
> Why is the old one removed? If we kept the libgal packages until nothing
> depended on it, and then removed it we would not have a problem. I suppose it
> is something to do with libgal-data.

Because the packages are built from one source (gal), and it's a bit hard to
keep two versions of the same source! But whether or not Debian should/could
keep different versions of libgal, Norbert still has a valid point: sonames
shouldn't change that often. Last week I packaged gnuvd-gnome, and at that time
libgal9 was the most recent version. Yesterday Norbert filed a bug to inform me
of the demise of libgal9 and rise of libgal11. I mean, come on, 2 new *MAJOR*
versions of the same library in only ONE week?! What would you say if next week
glibc 4 was packaged?

Norbert, I fully agree with the email you drafted.

  Guus Sliepen <guus@sliepen.warande.net>