Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:19:23PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 29-Aug-01, 12:18 (CDT), Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> wrote:
> > Previously Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > I also think the standalone .deb argument is pretty bogus.
> >
> > I disagree. A standalone .deb should never be less useful to people then
> > one that is in some archive.
>
> How is it less useful?
>
> A standalone .deb w/o a Package file doesn't integrate into apt or
> dselect, so there's no where to show the descriptions. The only reason
> one would have an interest in such a .deb is that one already has a
> pretty good idea of what it is, presumably from an accompaning README,
> or the webpage with a link, or somesuch. I doubt very many people go
> around browsing random .debs with 'dpkg-deb -I'.

Who's to say that a more featureful frontend won't be able to deal with
individual .debs just as elegantly?

In the webpage-download scenario, I imagine it's pretty common for users to
find software on pages that are (entirely or partially) not in their native
language, and in that situation a translated description could be quite
useful.

--
 - mdz