Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:10:15PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > I also think the standalone .deb argument is pretty bogus.
> >
> > I disagree. A standalone .deb should never be less useful to people then
> > one that is in some archive.
>
> FWIW, I think this point cannot be emphasized enough. We already have a
> large portion of our user base who doesn't know what dpkg is, and thus
> are crippling themselves as debian users. Adding new, core, features
> like translated package descriptions, that only work correctly if the
> packages are retreived by apt is only going to drive more people in that
> direction, and it will hurt both them and Debian in the end, by leading
> to incocnsistency, confusion, and a less flexable system.

yes I agree.

Now we 'have' a hack and this hack only work with apt. I don't like
this apt only hack. I seach for a solution, with work with dpkg and
after some thoughts, private mail, mails in i18n, etc. I post this
proposal.

translation is a core new feature and if we use our proposal it work
with dpkg. I can make 'dpkg --info' and I will get the translated
description, if I install before the description-translation-XX
package.

see the parallel with some other parts:
 - some translated man pages are in it own packages, I will get this
   only if I install this first
 - the same problem have some other documentation (see doc-linux-*
   with the HOWTOS...)
 - some with the -dev files. If I download and install only the
   'non-dev-package' I can't use the library in my own devel process.

With the proposal you need not to use apt, you need need request the
translation with a new method. All are normal deb files.

Gruss
Grisu
"Man soll alles so einfach wie möglich machen, aber nicht einfacher."
                                               -- Albert Einstein