Re: Problem with translated Packages files...

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:27:30AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 06:28:03AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> And I, as a maintainer, do not believe in the translator. Sigh.
> We should stop insulting each other.

No, you don't understand what I would say.

I trust the maintainer. They make good packages etc. But I don't
believe the maintainer (as the whole) add the translation fast to the
packages.

And normal a mainatainer know only 1-4 languages. He can check a
translation, he must trust the translator. He add a translation blind
to the package. We don't 'need' the maintainer for only 'add the
translation blindly'.

You understand now.

> > I enumerate some pros about a central approach with the translated
> > description. If you have comments, speak up.
> >
> > I don't see _any_ pros with the translated description in the source
> > of the packages. If you (or anybody) habe pros, speak up.
>
> Yes, there are pros. As I said in my recent mail to debian-i18n.
> The question is if the pros outnumber the cons.

Sorry, I don't see pros. Only if the maintainer know the languages, he
can improve the translation, check it etc.

He can do this now also (with the ddts). If you know the translation
very well, he can translate the description hisself. No problem.

> Debconf templates use _exactly_ the system you are against (translation
> in source package) and so far nobody (except me, huh :-)) complained.

Yes. I don't like the translated templates, the po-files. etc. in the
packages. This all need a reupload and a rebuild for every changes in
every languages. You have bigger packages, delays, ...

But we have templates and we have po files now, and we have a working
framework with this. I support this (you know maybe my web page with
the debconf translations).

But IMHO this approach is not the best...

Gruss
Grisu
A common mistake that people make, when trying to design something
fools.  -- Douglas Adams - Mostly Harmless