Re: Problem with translated Packages files...

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:33:17PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 07:39:07AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > The ddts store this translated description in a db and make daily a
> > translated Packages file.
>
> BTW, do these translated descriptions ever find their way into source
> packages (where they belong IMHO)? The system doesn't automatically
> file wishlist bugs, or does it?

no. But this is also not planned jet.

1.) we don't have a place in the source package for this description
2.) I don't like the translation in the source package, because
    - the package maintainer delay only the process
    - the package maintainer don't speak >3 langauges
    - the packages are to big with 20 and more translations
    - apt and dpkg don't support this now
    - I don't see some advantages
    - I see only disadvantages (sorry)
    - If the maintainer make uploades fast with the translations, he
      make one uploades per languages per changes in the description.
      This is not nice.
    - With the translated description in the source package, the load
      on the build server will increasing
      (In the last 10 weeks, we have 2500 translated Description in
      all langauges. If we make 2500 source uploades, the build server
      don't make overs things in this time. And this all only for
      translations? No sorry)
    - Make this all like the overrides file from the ftp master. This
      is nice and ok.

If we have store the translation of all packages in one file, we can:
 - offer translated packages file (like the files on gluck)
 - we can make .mo files and dpkg can use gettext() and has a
   translated output

This all is very fast, without any delay. We have now translated >25%
to german in <10 weeks...

Sorry, but I don't believe in the maintainer. See the bug reports with
translated debconf templates...

Gruss
Grisu
"I'd prefer to avoid standardization by implementation donation."
                                                              -- Bob Scheifler