Re: Upload Quality Was: Re: OpenOffice

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, David Starner wrote:

> Note I'm not specifically talking about OpenOffice. If OpenOffice is
> actually usuable for something by a non-developer, then great. If it's just
> useful for development, there's no use in putting into unstable.

Have you actually tried OpenOffice (you can download precompiled binaries
from www.openoffice.org)? There have been some issues with printing, but
these have now mostly been resolved. OpenOffice works, and is quite
stable.

And since it's got more features than KOffice, I don't see any reason why
it couldn't be in sid...

> > OO sounds like it's a lot buggier than most applications (not surprising
> > since it used to be commercial/proprietary code) but the only way it's
> > going to conform to the standards expected of free software is if people
> > work on it and test it.
>
> When you've got a program that's almost done,

I don't know whether it's almost done, but it's quite stable. At least a
"bit" more stable than Konqueror is (which is a great browser but
unfortunately segfaults about once a week here).

> I can write a helpful bug
> report without much trouble. "I tried typing in an 80-character word, and it
> ran off screen instead of wrapping." If it's a work in process, I can't. "It
> crashed on startup." "Where did it crash on startup?"

OpenOffice is, IME, not really likely to crash on startup anymore
(although that, admittetly, used to be the case)

> Well, I'm not in a
> mood to download a large source ball, spend hours compiling,

Optimist ;-)

> and hope it
> still crashes in the same place so I can catch it with GDB. If someone is in
> that mood, they're probably willing to download it from upstream and compile
> it.

Don't worry. It won't be necessary.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be