Re: Intelligent mirroring

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 09:03:12AM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:

> also sprach Matt Zimmerman (on Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:56:16AM -0400):
> > No, that Packages.gz will be in the debian.new directory, while the old one
> > (which is where users will go) still has the old packages _and_ Packages.gz.
> > When the directory is switched, the new packages and Packages.gz go in at the
> > same time.
> >
> > Trust me.  Look at the original message again.  This is exactly the problem
> > that is solved by this approach.
>
> right, i myself have that problem to solve, but the first message in
> this thread that i saw copied debian to debian.new with hardlinks,
> which means that Packages.gz would stay the same in both trees. and
> surely, copying a dist tree without hardlinks is overkill.

First, hardlinks are made for all of the files in 'debian'.  Then, rsync is run
on 'debian.new', which for each changed file will remove the corresponding hard
link and replace it with a real file.  The copy in 'debian' remains unchanged
and consistent until the final rename is done, at which point the new tree
(which is now consistent) is moved into its place.

This method should only use as much disk space as is required by the updated
files.

--
 - mdz