Re: OpenOffice

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:39:43PM +0100, David Starner wrote:
> I don't agree. There's no point in putting something in unstable
> that's so buggy it will never go into testing. If you can't get it
> into a state where there are no RC bugs, then maybe it's just not
> suitable for Debian yet.
>
> (From an unstable user who doesn't minding testing new packaging and
> programs, but doesn't want Debian or Unstable to be the dumping ground
> of half-baked packages.)

it's not so much a dumping ground as a hacking workshop and beta
distribution network.

OO sounds like it's a lot buggier than most applications (not surprising
since it used to be commercial/proprietary code) but the only way it's
going to conform to the standards expected of free software is if people
work on it and test it.

frankly, i'm a bit surprised that OO has been out for about a year now
and they still haven't fixed the build process so that it works smoothly
- fortunately, that kind of thing is one area where debian people have a
lot of experience and knowledge.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>