Re: trouble with mounts and ash

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 09:26:26AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:56:06PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > I can find sites listing the issues but this loopback mount issue
> > seems to be consistantly ignored.
>
> Because many people don't care about it. Why break things for people
> who do want to ln /proc/mounts (so that the mtab actually makes sense
> when mounted read-only, etc.) and don't need loopback mounts?

that seems a pretty silly reason to symlink /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts.

they're not the same "file", and they don't contain the same
information. treating them as if they are the same is broken, so there's
no cause for surprise or complaint when you experience the effects of
that broken-ness.

Q. "Doctor, it hurts when i poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick"
A. "Don't do that then."

if it bothers you that /etc/mtab is inaccurate during single or
emergency boot, then you can:

mount -n -o rw,remount /
umount -a

craig