Re: Improving DAM process was: [Debian account] I request your attention

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 03:24:06PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Eric E Moore <e.e.moore@shef.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I think the point is, that if applications are required to be
> > processed in order, there is no prejudiced stalling, just stalling.
> > The cause of the stall may be prejudicial, but the net effect is not.
>
> But then there's the problem of an applicant with incomplete paperwork
> or whatnot that is pending additional information.

No, the DAM approval happens *after* the AM process is completed.
The AM sends the report to the DAM, who then is supposed to either
accept it or reject it (a reject can mean that the report is not
good enough, which should only happen with inexperienced AMs, or in
case of a mistake).

I would not suggest to serialize the AM process as a whole, only the
very last step which requries the DAM.  And even then I think the DAM
can preprocess pending applications (doing phone calls etc) and only
serialize the actual creation of an account.  Even rejects for formal
reasons (sending it back to the AM for correction) could be done
out-of-order for maximum efficiency.

Thanks,
Marcus