Re: Improving DAM process was: [Debian account] I request your attention

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 02:27:34AM +1000, Anand Kumria wrote:
> I like the idea but I think the default should be to reject. Some kind of
> positive action should be required before accounts are created [1].

We should never reject someone just because somebody has the time or
energy or motivation to accept him.  Just as we don't remove packages
from incoming just because nobody accepts them in the archive.

However, accepting by default doesn't work, as the account still has to be
created, and the application finished, by a human.

The problem we face here is simple to solve:  The DAM should process all
applications in the order they come in.  If he doesn't have the time to
process the very next application (by sending it back with a comment why,
or by accepting it), he should not do anything official to others in the
queue (he can preprocess other applications, and mark them for himself
as accepted, but it should only be dealt with officially in order).

In this scheme, a prejudiced stalling immediately becomes a huge burden
for many other people, and there will be a huge incentive to do something
about it.

Before the current process was created and installed, I foretelled that
processing out of order can cause (perceived) unfair treatment of applicants.
I detected this as one flaw in the process. It's sad that it seems now I was
right, but at that time the idea to do it differently was rejected.

Thanks,
Marcus