Improving DAM process was: [Debian account] I request your attention

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 05:55:02PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously John Goerzen wrote:
> > I vote that we add a time limit on DAM approval.  If the applicant is
> > not rejected with documented cause by the DAM within, say, 1 month of
> > the completed and in-order AM report, then the applicant is considered
> > accepted into Debian.
>
> I really do hope you're not serious.

I like the idea but I think the default should be to reject. Some kind of
positive action should be required before accounts are created [1].

Other ideas on improving the DAM process were floated by the DAM himself[2]
but it contains some problems areas like indeterminte time spans. I think
it'd be far better to reject someone we don't have the time to handle
rather than keep them waiting.

A fixed 'your application will self-destruct in 3 months' at the DAM stage
would be useful. It'd mean that people who may have been overlooked[3], or
ignored, will get a decision - one that they can then go forward with and
appeal[4] if appropriate.

Anand

[1]: Even though my position has been, and continues to be, that we should
throw less hurdles at NMs perhaps this will mollify the current [D]AMs.

[2]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss/2001/debian-newmaint-discuss-200104/msg00041.html

[3]: A small number but this may help to get it down to zero once and for all.

[4]: My term for having other AMs decide an applicants fate and/or a GR
if necessary.