Re: [Debian account] I request your attention

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:27:33PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> For reference, in this particular case, no one's actually done those
> things.  We've got a bunch of competent AMs who don't have the time or
> inclination to do DAM work, and a handful of people who claim they'd be
> quite happy to get r00t on *.debian.org and add accounts and whatnot,
> but haven't demonstrated that they'd actually be any good at it.

How can they do this?  I don't remember ever having seen a list of things
someone has to do to demonstrate it.  I have never seen a list of things
someone had not demonstrated who fell into the latter group.

The lack of trust, competence and/or willingness has always been
named as the reason why there is no other DAM.
It was also claimed that person who did
qualify were asked and they rejected.  Nothing more was said, like,
how many were asked, and what were the qualifications one had to
demonstrate, and how they can be demonstrated.

It seems to me that the whole process of becoming a DAM is entirely opaque
to most Debian developers.  Sure, not everything should be in public
right away, but what I can't see and know about I can't consider.  So,
as far as I am concerned, nothing has happened to get enough DAMs to
fill the demand and avoid bottlenecks.  Although I am inclined that
this is not the case, I have no proof of the opposite except the assertion
of James and probably a few other people.  In my eyes, this is not good
enough.

> To repeat: if you see something you don't like in Debian, or see something
> you think can be done better, *that* is how you fix it. That's what it
> means to be a volunteer.

This is true as long as nobody stands in the way.  You can't become a DAM
by just volunteering, you need to be appointed.  For this there is the demand
that you "demonstrate" that you qualify.  Even if there is no hard list
of things that can define this term, there can and probably should be a
public record when someone volunteers and is rejected (how far this
public record goes in detail is something else to discuss).

If you think this is too demanding, take it as a mere suggestion how
to avoid endless bickering about the lack of progress in the DAM stage.

Marcus