Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 3, 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 06:00:09AM -0500, BugScan reporter wrote:
> Package: blt (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Gordon Russell <gor@debian.org>
>   104637 Build failure on hppa (at least)

Firstly I have not received this messsage from the bug tracking system,
so there is some problem with email delivery. Strange as I receive all my other
email easily enough.

In any case this bug report is inadequate to know what is going on. It
states that bltTkInt.h cannot be found during the build by bltInt.h. This
is unlikely as they are both in the same directory in the source. Sounds
more like the compiler is not looking in the include path for some reason.
Without a detailed trace it is impossible to know, as this build takes
a few hours and reuses this file multiple times.

If someone wants to investage this further on a hppa I am more than happy
to respond to their fixes. Clearly it is not a dependency error, and as
it builds in i386 I cannot understand why the include path works here but
not in hppa. In addition I have not received a build failure for other
architectures - can I assume that this is only with the hppa? Did it build
before this version?

This sort of thing seems to come up a lot in Debian, with releases delayed
due to builds failing on machines the maintainers have no obvious access
to. I really believe it is time to have a named package maintainer for each
architecture... if noone can be found for an architecture then the package
cannot be supported there!

G.