Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 3, 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:03:24AM +0100, Gordon Russell wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 06:00:09AM -0500, BugScan reporter wrote:
> > Package: blt (debian/main)
> > Maintainer: Gordon Russell <gor@debian.org>
> >   104637 Build failure on hppa (at least)
>
> This sort of thing seems to come up a lot in Debian, with releases delayed
> due to builds failing on machines the maintainers have no obvious access
> to. I really believe it is time to have a named package maintainer for each
> architecture... if noone can be found for an architecture then the package
> cannot be supported there!

OK, I have looked and discovered that autoconf sees hppa as
    parisc64-unknown-linux-gnu
I downloaded 1.4 of config.guess and config.sub, and these report that
    machine parisc64-unknown not recognised

Now what should I do. I would like to close this bug report, but clearly it
is a bug. Downgrading it from serious would be good, but according to the
documentation it is technically serious. However, it appears to be down to
a new distribution not supporting autoconf. Of course, I only have passing
knowledge of autoconf at the best of times!

Help!
G.

--
Gordon Russell