Re: sponsor rules

    Joost> Having any number of "important" bugs filed against a
    Joost> package makes it disappear from testing.  Problem solved.

No, the problem is both the package which is solved and the sloppy
process on the part of the sponsor that lead to the package happening
in the first place.  Not copying the sponsor on the bugs solves only
half the problem.

    >> Either way the package maintainer (nm applicant) gets the bugs
    >> and is likely to improve.

    Joost> Don't push them to improve.  Wait until they do.  I'm
    Joost> sorry, but I believe that that, and routing around the
    Joost> damage as it occurs, is all you can ask for with
    Joost> volunteers.  On the good side, it has worked so far.

The social structure pushes people to improve.  If I screw up, I look
bad in front of my peers.  Reputation/doing a good job is important so I try to improve.

The fact that my peers notice that I did screw up and that it is me
who did the screwing up is a critical part of why Debian works as well
as it does.  I contend this is mostly absent in sponsorship today.