Re: sponsor rules

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:49:07AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Joost> It is called the debian bug tracking system.
>
> No, the BTS lets the maintainer know, the sponsor is not copied on the
> bug reports.  From personal experience, there is significant social
> pressure associated with having to deal with the email associated with
> screwing something up.

A good argument for putting the sponsor's name in the official
control fields in the package.

> Having a bunch of bugs filed on a package you're not looking at (which
> is likely if you are being a careless sponsor) doesn't do much.

Having any number of "important" bugs filed against a package makes it
disappear from testing.  Problem solved.  Just a simple mechanism, that
allows for a discussion of the relevant facts, without getting dragged
into heavyweight policy discussions.

> Either way the package maintainer (nm applicant) gets the bugs and is
> likely to improve.

Don't push them to improve.  Wait until they do.  I'm sorry, but I
believe that that, and routing around the damage as it occurs, is all
you can ask for with volunteers.  On the good side, it has worked so far.

Cheers,

Joost