Re: cramfs problems, also file(1)

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 00:00, skaya@enix.org wrote:

> >> ... which debian's kernel-source packages include.
> >
> > Which IMHO is wrong. At least the way it is done right now.
> > Instead debian should distribute pristine sources together with
> > recommended kernel patches (in seperate packages).
>
> not wanting to start a troll, but ...
> if you're trying to build a initrd kernel image, you want
> make-kpkg to complain when you use --initrd without the patches
> applied.  that would be better yet. does anyone see any unforeseen
> negative side effect ?

How exactly do you determine that one particular patch has been applied when
the kernel in question may have a number of patches applied and may be a
newer version than that which the maintainer of make-kpkg has access to?

> (I ran into trouble trying to build initrd support using SGI
> CVS tree - I like XFS. I did not use debian kernel sources because
> there is this little lag behind - and I wanted other patches like
> ext3 and vlan, which are not packaged yet IIRC).

Sounds just like my problem.  A kernel-patch-cramfs-initrd package would have
avoided this.