Re: cramfs problems, also file(1)

(manoj, I cc'ed you in case you might be interested... I'm not yet
in position to determine whether or not I should file a bug/wish
against kernel-package?)

> A kernel-patch-cramfs-initrd package would have avoided [all the
> trouble we had compiling a kernel which would handle cramfs+initrd
> correctly]

IMHO, the Right Thing would be to include in initrd-tools documentation
"you need a patch for this to work!". If it's included, flame me harder
(but /usr/share/doc/initrd-tools is quasi empty, so is ..../mkcramfs,
and kernel-package documentation is quite terse about initrd, not to
say about cramfs).

In the meanwhile, as I used make-kpkg to build my packages, I would
have been very pleased if make-kpkg told me "hey, you lack a patch"
(of course, it cannot track every patch, but it know about its --initrd
option, and could make a little check - what about a little
"grep cramfs drivers/block/rd.c" ?

anyway, rendons a cesar ce qui est a cesar : initrd-tools + kernel-package
are a very nice+useful combo, and I reckon the good work done by their
authors. I'll try soon a nfsroot-like boot using network modules - that
sould be interesting ...

Exercise caution in your daily affairs.