Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

    tytso> people use as a common CLI front-end interface.  Let's call
    tytso> it "apt" for now.  Users don't care about layering
    tytso> violation; they just want to an easy to user interface.
    tytso> Users shouldn't have to twist their thinking to the details
    tytso> of the implementation, after all.

But we as developers do care about layering.  It is perfectly
reasonable for me to say that apt-get has its place and that it
operates at a layer where recommends is ignored, provided that I'm
open to a CLI (apt sounds like a fine name) that provides a superset
of apt-get's functionality, including both what apt-get does and
recommends handling.

Eventually, we may find that a CLI at the apt-get layer is useless
once apt exists, or we may find it's just a debugging tool that is
used only when hacking on the apt libs.  I think that would be great
and agree it would improve things significantly for many users.  I
wouldn't find it personally that useful (I really don't normally want
recommends to do anything) but it certainly wouldn't degrade my Debian
experience.