Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:13:48AM +0200, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> Mind you that with testing, dselect would regulary **anyhilate** my
> system if I used it. Every other day it is trying to remove half of the
> installed packages due to some funky-update-of-the-day-basic-labrary.

1.  Never happened to me.  I run stable, unstable and testing on several
machines.  But then I'm a big fan of dselect, admittedly, and care to know
how to use it.   It should not happen, file a bug in the proper place if
you notice any brokenness.  If dselect doesn't work properly, something
is broken in the debian package management system.

2.  The problem is not in dselect, it is only the messenger.  The archive
just contains a package set with inconsistent dependencies.  File a bug
against the out of date library, or the ftp archive, for having broken
Packages info.  It makes no sense to blame dselect for it.

3.  Never will dselect all by itself nuke a system.  All it will do, is
try to aid the user in keeping a consistent package selection.  You may
accept any of its suggestions, or ignore them, at will.  Please look up
the meaning of the 'Q' and 'R' keys in dselect.  When you have set package
selections, and you invoke apt-get, wether directly or as dselect install
method, and it proceeds to nuke your system, well, you asked for it.  Next
time, consider aiming before you pull the trigger.

What's next, file a bug against rm, because "it nuked my system"?
Lets put an alias for rm to 'rm -i' in /etc/profile.  It's a standard,
because I read about it in a book that was on sale in the used book store,
it was standing next to the books about wordstar and msdos 3.22.

> It might be that dselect is usable for people who use stable, since it is
> not a moving target and is supposed to have balanced-out dependencies. But
> fully relying on it with testing is *not possible* (!). And see, Gustavo
> *is* updating to testing.

You cannot blame dselect for the state of dependencies at any time in
testing or unstable.  At least you cannot do so while pretendending to
make sense.

You may blame dselect for its unusual key mapping.  But then, how can all
these smart people, who can master so many computer languages and programs,
not learn to remember a handful of keys?  It baffles me, almost.

Cheers,

Joost