Re: Debian & Sound Cards

#include <hallo.h>
D & E Radel wrote on Fri Jul 06, 2001 um 11:09:17AM:

> This may be an often asked question, but I will ask it anyway.
> I was wondering if Debian has plans to implement a user-friendly
> application to configure sound cards.

Isn't there already one ported from RedHat? Package sndconfig, IIRC.

> even though I can get sound through my speakers now, certain
> apps like esound and gnome make a nice distortion sound instead
> of playing wav files, and I get a nice IRQ7 error in my dmesg. No sign
> of MIDI either.

IRQ7 is normally reserved for the parallel port and should not be used
for any other devices. Please use 5,9,10,11 or 12(unless you have a PS/2
mouse).

> Other dists have a sound configure app. Will Debian be implementing
> a similar app that will also set up things like Plug N Play, MIDI, Esound,

PnP for PCI is handled by PCI ;), IsaPNP is supported in kernel 2.4.x.
And what is needed to be configured by Esound? Installation script ask
you about installed sound hardware, and then it should work. The few
optional settings of esd can be changed in esound.conf, but the are
really optional and if your esd does explicitely need them, report as a
bug.

> necessary /dev permissions?

The permissions are okay, you should just add the users to appropriate
groups.

--
Anwender1: Mein WIN95 ist in 6 Monaten noch NIE abgestürzt...
Anwender2: Ein halbes Jahr ohne Strom - das ist hart!