Debian & Sound Cards

Hi.

This may be an often asked question, but I will ask it anyway.
I was wondering if Debian has plans to implement a user-friendly
application to configure sound cards.

For example, I use a SoundBlaster Awe64 pnp card and although
I narrowly managed to setup my /etc/isapnp.conf and add "sb" to
my /etc/modules. For a newbie, this was a nightmare task, and
even though I can get sound through my speakers now, certain
apps like esound and gnome make a nice distortion sound instead
of playing wav files, and I get a nice IRQ7 error in my dmesg. No sign
of MIDI either.

Other dists have a sound configure app. Will Debian be implementing
a similar app that will also set up things like Plug N Play, MIDI, Esound,
necessary /dev permissions?

You guys are doing an AWESOME job! I love my Debian system! Thanks!
D.Radel.