Re: Virtual Hosting and the FHS

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 06:37:22PM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 07:01:51PM +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
>
> > > /var/www is out for web, as debian packages expect to be able to put things
> > > in there and for them to be visible on the default web site.
> >
> > I hope no packages does this except the webserver-packagtes placing a
> > default index.html if no such file exists.
>
> I can't remember which ones I'm thinking of, but several packages that
> do web-related things expect to be able to put bits of themselves in
> /var/www.
>
> > If a package just
> > overwrites /var/www/index.html it's a serious bug.
>
> They don't/shouldn't "just" do that, but they do add subdirectories, files etc.
> into /var/www. If they provide a web front-end to something, where else
> are they supposed to go?

We use /w/<physical_machine_name>/<user> and set up
/var/www as a symlink to /w/<machine_name> which is
not otherwise used, everything else being "virtual".

The symlinks might mess up some policies.

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039