Virtual Hosting and the FHS

Is there any consensus as to where web and mail should live on a machine
that serves multiple domains (I dislike calling them virtual domains, as
they're real enough, but...)

/var/www is out for web, as debian packages expect to be able to put things
in there and for them to be visible on the default web site. A directory
into which per-domain subdirectories can be placed, each containing at
least "html" and "cgi-bin" (or similarly named) subdirectories.

/home is out, as IMHO and according to FHS, this is for *user* home
directories.

For mail, /var/mail remains the spool for the local machine, but another
location is needed for other domains' spools.

Currently I create extra subdirectories under /var for both these cases,
but this appears to be frowned upon by the FHS too.

IMHO the ideal answer for web would have been to have multiple site/domain-
specific subdirectories under /var/www, with "default" being a special case.
But it's too late for that, so...?

And for mail, I can't think of a better answer than what I've been doing
at the moment. Slight issue in that I also put alias files in the subdirectory
I create under /var (to avoid having to look for things in too many
unpredictable locations), but they could easily go into /etc/exim or similar.

Which brings me on to the subject of "why no /etc/exim" at present? It's
really extremely likely that admins will have to create multiple exim-related
conf-files to get their system right, so wouldn't it make sense to have
a directory there ready, and stick the exim.conf file in there to start
with?

Hope that made sense to somebody...

Cheers,

Nick