Re: Virtual Hosting and the FHS

Nick Phillips <nwp@lemon-computing.com> writes:

> /var/www is out for web, as debian packages expect to be able to put things
> in there and for them to be visible on the default web site.

I hope no packages does this except the webserver-packagtes placing a
default index.html if no such file exists. If a package just
overwrites /var/www/index.html it's a serious bug. You should be able
to change webserver without making a backup. (Yes I know - always make
backups).

Well I'm sure I have had boa show me a apache standard index.html so I
think it works (or has worked at least)

I have used /var/www/{hacking.dk, xyzzy.adsl.dk, peter.makholm.net}/
for hosting hacking.dk, xyzzy.adsl.dk and peter.makholm.net for some
time without problem. Am I just lucky?

> A directory
> into which per-domain subdirectories can be placed, each containing at
> least "html" and "cgi-bin" (or similarly named) subdirectories.

Packages which includes cgi-scripts should place them in
/usr/lib/cgi-bin and html-files should be placed under /usr/share/ and
registered with doc-base which then makes it vievable throug http.

--
Jeg svarede ikke på dit spørgsmål, vel?