Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:09:27PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > *requiring* perl to be on a system before the init scripts will work
> > is very bad. think about it a little while.
>
> Are you perl-phobic?

No, I love it. But:

1) Perl is not part of a basic system and so things that are parts of a basic
system should not depend on it;
2) I still want my system to boot properly if I break my perl installation --
the perl subsystem is easier to break than /bin/sh or kernel support for ELF
executables;
3) Perl is Big. Using it for system init is a monstrous case of unnecessary
bloat.

And that's just for starters...

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com