Re: UTF-8 editor support in Debian?

Previously Drew Parsons wrote:
> So what exactly is the state of support for creating UTF-8 files at
> the moment?  As far as I can tell, few of the text editors support it.
> vim doesn't, jed doesn't.

There are alpha release of vim that support it very well, see
http://people.debian.org/~wakkerma/vim/ .

> And is it a good idea to provide support libraries for it too?  For
> instance, ncurses support for utf8 is supposed to be more or less
> stable now, so wouldn't it be a good idea to use the --multibyte
> configure flag to provide the multibyte version of ncurses?

I suspect that will break binary compatibility which is something we
can't do.

> Can we do more to support UTF-8?

Feel free to submit patches to improve UTF8 support to the various
programs.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |