Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 01:45:47PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:03:15PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> > You cannot blame dselect for the state of dependencies at any time in
> > testing or unstable.  At least you cannot do so while pretendending to
> > make sense.
>
> I don't agree.  dselect may not be responsible for the state of the
> archive, but it _is_ responsible for how it deals with it.  If the
> dependencies don't make sense, then "Hmm... I'll be conservative and
> only upgrade the packages that don't cause problems" is a much better
> response than "Hmm... I can make it consistent by removing 90% of the
> installed packages".

It is an entirely different type of response, too.

 ".. I'll be conservative and only upgrade .."
         ^^^^                     ^^^^^^^^^
versus:

 ".. I can make it consistent by .."

Dselect is telling you.  It did not do anything but give you a choice.
That is what it is supposed to do.  You have to do the deciding.  You are
responsible for it.  Dselect is not supposed to deal with dependencies,
it's there to help you deal with dependencies.

Since when does debian encourage users not to bother with these "details"?
Some people don't even know anymore that dpkg is debian's package tool.
I am not making this up.  :-(

Cheers,

Joost