Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 01:08:19PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> Dselect is telling you.  It did not do anything but give you a choice.
> That is what it is supposed to do.  You have to do the deciding.  You are
> responsible for it.  Dselect is not supposed to deal with dependencies,
> it's there to help you deal with dependencies.
>
> Since when does debian encourage users not to bother with these "details"?
> Some people don't even know anymore that dpkg is debian's package tool.
> I am not making this up.  :-(

To make it more clear what I mean by the above, here's a few url's.

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0103/msg00982.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0102/msg00135.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0101/msg04505.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0012/msg03844.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0011/msg04828.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0008/msg03624.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0003/msg00493.html
 http://lists.debian.org/deity-0102/msg00185.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-x-0012/msg00337.html
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0105/msg00177.html
   why not manage it yourself, using dselect?
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0101/msg00081.html
   an interesting take on runlevels here, too

Frankly, I don't care if people want to "apt-get --purge remove pkg"
when they might as well have "dpkg -P pkg".  If they understand what
either does, do whatever you like.  Reimplement dselect in awk on the
command-line, every time you need it again, if you get a kick out of
it.  Fine, lovely, do post some neat examples to the list.  Generally,
new users want to use dselect and set the status of pkg to "purge".
Then they run "remove" from the menu.

The problem is when people do not even know about dpkg anymore.  When
they don't know about dselect (or any of its announced alternatives) or
its purpose.  It implies that they are unaware of the essences of the
debian package management system.  That worries me a lot more than the
package format adopted by some committee.

Cheers,

Joost