Re: /var/samba -> /var/state/samba script

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:00:10PM +0200, Edward Betts wrote:
> alexander.skwar@delphiauto.com wrote:
> >
> > On 30.06.2001 14:08:43 Edward Betts wrote:
> >
> > > Depends, what are you sharing? Look at how ftp does it /home/ftp, I would
> > > recommend something similar.
> >
> > Hmm, wouldn't /var/ftp be a better location for ~ftp?

I could claim I dont want ot be snarky, but that would probably be a lie

> Who do you recommend own the files that you are serving by anon ftp or samba?
> If you look at www the files are owned by the www-data user,

well yeah they are....

> so the most
> sensible thing to do is to create a user and have them own the files, once you
> have created a user, they need a home directory, so you might as well store
> the files in /home.

yes we obviously need a user, and a user needs a home directory, this is why
we have a /home/www-data on all systems and the files for www are all stored
in there... /var/www is just a myth... well excpet for the fact you used it in
your own example....

seems /var/samba with a samba-data user and /var/ftp with a ftp-data user are
already there by precedent, if you had actually stated the case correctly.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/