Re: /var/samba -> /var/state/samba script

On 03-Jul-01, 05:46 (CDT), Steven Hanley <sjh@svana.org> wrote:

> seems /var/samba with a samba-data user and /var/ftp with a ftp-data user are
> already there by precedent, if you had actually stated the case correctly.

Nope, that's the problem. Someone stored their data in /var/samba, which
was created (incorrectly) by the samba package for its own use; when
the package moved /var/samba to (incorrectly again, but closer :-))
/var/state/samba, it also moved (or possibly erased, I forget) the user
data. The FHS says

        "/var contains variable data files. This includes spool
        directories and files, administrative and logging data, and
        transient and temporary files."

My opinion (FWIW, probably not much) is that web and ftp files don't
belong there. /home seems a better choice. As a practical matter, I can
be pretty sure packages scripts won't mess with stuff under /home.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read