Re: /var/samba -> /var/state/samba script

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:46:16PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:00:10PM +0200, Edward Betts wrote:
>
> > so the most sensible thing to do is to create a user and have them
> > own the files, once you have created a user, they need a home
> > directory, so you might as well store the files in /home.
>
> yes we obviously need a user, and a user needs a home directory,
> this is why we have a /home/www-data on all systems and the files
> for www are all stored in there... /var/www is just a myth... well
> excpet for the fact you used it in your own example....
>
> seems /var/samba with a samba-data user and /var/ftp with a ftp-data user are
> already there by precedent, if you had actually stated the case correctly.

I've been lurking on this list for a while, and this discussion seemed
the place to ask a question I've been wondering about. I've been
playing (for the moment just for my own use) with packaging an ftp
proxy/cache I am the author of[0].

I have a similar situation to the samba one... The proxy drops privs
to a non-root user, which preferably means creating its own user, and
it needs read write access to a directory tree for the caching. It
also (optionally) runs chrooted, but I see no mention of what to do in
this situation in either debian-policy manual or mailing list archives
and the only other debian packages I found which ran chrooted were ftp
servers.

Basically I was wondering whether the Right Thing was to follow the
ftp server method (use /home/package/), the squid method
(/var/spool/package/), or what my own reading of the FHS would seem to
suggest (/var/cache/package/)?

Thanks,

James Hollingshead

[0] http://frox.sourceforge.net if you're interested, but I haven't
    inflicted any .debs I've built on the world yet so you won't see
    them there.