Re: don't upgrade! libpam problem!

    David> On Wednesday 27 June 2001 12:40 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
    >>

    >> I mean, bloody hell, if they don't know how to do init=/bin/sh,
    >> why are the running Debian, especially sid??

    David> I think that's rather harsh.

    David> [...] but ignorance of one of the billions of myriad
    David> features of Debian does not invalidate someone's ability to
    David> run the system, especially when it's something as stable as
    David> the login breaks mysteriously.

I can't say what exactly Daniel had in mind when he wrote what he
wrote... but I see here the old conflict between two major camps in
the Debian (development) community:

  + One camp wants big market share and wants to make Debian easy to
  use as to maximize the amount of users ("market share").  (They will
  generally disavow any plans/thoughts of dumbing down Debian, and I
  tend to believe them ;-)

  + The other camp wants Debian to stay geared for the people it
  currently seems to be geared for: experienced (Linux/Unix)
  developers/users.  (I'm pretty much in that camp, and I think a
  smaller market share of clueful people is less hassle and more
  satisfying than a fat market share of "Drucker funzt nicht" dummies).

I remember someone call Debian the Linux distro you use after
graduating from Linux highschool.  Or something like that.  Obviously,
I like that turn of phrase. ;-)

Bye, J

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sourceforge.net)