Re: don't upgrade! libpam problem!

On 28-Jun-01, 01:41 (CDT), David Nusinow <krmt1984@ucla.edu> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2001 12:40 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >
> > I mean, bloody hell, if they don't know how to do init=/bin/sh, why are the
> > running Debian, especially sid??
> >

> I think that's rather harsh. I'm running both Debian and unstable as a
> learning experience, to find out about these kind of problems as they happen.
> I didn't know about init=/bin/sh, and although I knew about boot parameters I
> never would have guessed to set init to /bin/sh in a million years if I
> hadn't read it in the archives. I also had to hunt through the raw text of
> the mount manpage to figure out how to remount with write capability.

Yeah, but you didn't bitch out Sam for breaking your system. You
accepted that it was part of what you signed up for when running
unstable. You spent the time to learn how to get out of the hole. You
now know quite bit more about how to fix a broken system, or at least
some new approaches. It was a "learning experience".  Like most learning
experiences, is was unexpected, annoying and painful. That's because if
it's easy and fun, we don't learn :-).

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read