Re: GCC 3.0 status?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 12:52:17AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:

>> stable. The kernel won't be in woody, too, for standard, afaik, when the new gcc
>> isn't in woody, when we release, it will be a big disapointment, for me and for
>> others.
>
>?????
>
>gcc-3.0 is not and will NOT be the recommended compiler for the 2.4.x
>kernels! The opposite is true: The latest 2.4.6pre kernels will compile
>with gcc-3.0 but noone garuantees that the resulting kernel will be stable
>(besides that it will be slower because it seems the optimization in gcc
>version 3.0 isn't yet as good as the one in 2.95.x).

I know, the compiling of the kernel doesn't depend on gcc-3.0 . :)

What I mean is, that woody became quite old, when it will be released and
_this_ might be a big disapointment.

Many Linux- Users, I asked, why they do not use debian, said, one the one
hand, debian is to difficult (ok, might be for someone), and on the other
hand, the software is too old.

One reason is, debian-stable _is_ stable, of course, but I think, it is good
to work on migration gcc-3.0 in woody.

And again, to create a list of apps, which will binary-incompatible with
libstdc++3 and then make a porting party or two parties will help to put
gcc-3.0 in woody.

	Greetings
			Jan

--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"