Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On 25 Jun 2001 at 20:02 (+0200), Andreas Metzler wrote:
| Colin Watson <cjwatson@flatline.org.uk> wrote:
| [package redhat's chkconfig]
|
| > Please consider making it a frontend to update-rc.d instead. That way we
| > have a chance of being able to change things in one place (e.g. hmh's
| > various recent init script proposals) rather than needing to alter
| > several tools.
|
| > (Policy 10.3.1 - "any automated manipulation of the various runlevel
| > behaviours by maintainer scripts must be performed using update-rc.d as
| > described below and not by manually installing or removing symlinks". I
| > think this should be taken as intended to apply to programs outside
| > maintainer scripts too.)
|
| Hello!
| That would be nice, but at this time update-rc.d lacks some features,
| the nicest one is:
| chkconfig --levels 3 something off
| This deletes /etc/rc3.d/S??something and adds /etc/rc3.d/K##something,
| and ## is the default Kill-Runlevel specified in /etc/init/something.
| It does _not_ touch any of the other links /etc/rc?.d/???something.

I believe a script could be written that provided the query
facilities of chkconfig, as well as composing an update-rc.d
command line to modify/update the symlinks into /etc/init.d
(or modify the runlevel.conf, which is why I've started writing
a wrapper script that calls update-rc.d) to achieve the same
effect as chkconfig does. Yes, it will be ugly, but it can be
done.

Things redhat's chkconfig doesn't do which make it improper
for use in debian:
  handle /etc/rc[S789].d/ symlinks
  handle the file-rc runlevel system (which is really, nice :)

I'll hack up a chkconfig script that works as it should for
debian and post that for testing later in the week.

cheers.
  brent

--
 - - - - - -=(   d a m o n   b r e n t   v e r n e r   )=- - - - - - -
           c e r t i f i e d   n o s o u r c o p h o b i c