Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org> wrote:
>  While reading over the FHS, I noticed a recommendation for a
>chkconfig-like program to maintain the runlevel symlinks into
>the init.d directory, so I went about seeing what it would take
>to package redhat's chkconfig.

Please consider making it a frontend to update-rc.d instead. That way we
have a chance of being able to change things in one place (e.g. hmh's
various recent init script proposals) rather than needing to alter
several tools.

(Policy 10.3.1 - "any automated manipulation of the various runlevel
behaviours by maintainer scripts must be performed using update-rc.d as
described below and not by manually installing or removing symlinks". I
think this should be taken as intended to apply to programs outside
maintainer scripts too.)

Thanks,