Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

Steve Greenland wrote:
> If they have legitimate reasons to be running network diagnostics, then
> the *are* administrators. They just happen to not be logged into the
> root account.

A facile argument that has been used far too many times in the past in
discussing this issue.

Consider: I am not an administrator of master.debian.org, nor am I an
administrator of any networks between my isp's shell server and
master.debian.org. Being an administrator requires, by definition, the
ability to administrate; and I lack that ability. I am simply a
reasonably clued internet user.

However, I have quite a legitimate reason to use tracreoute from my
isp's shell server when I am unable to connect to master. Why?  So I can
figure out if it is master that is in fact, down, or some problem at
novare, or with their isp, or with my isp, or with the networks in
between. So I can in some cases bring these problems to the attention of
the actual administrators of those networks (or, if I can't do that --
as is the case with some of the networks inbetween, so I can try
bouncing my connection to master off of some other site that routes to
it via other networks).

--
see shy jo