Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Brent Verner wrote:

>   While reading over the FHS, I noticed a recommendation for a
> chkconfig-like program to maintain the runlevel symlinks into
> the init.d directory, so I went about seeing what it would take
> to package redhat's chkconfig.

Wha, help! I do not know, if I shall screem, run away or both.
I know a couple of people, that switched from redhat/suse to debian
only because you do not have to bother with such little evils like
chkconfig.

> The newest version of chkconfig
> worked out-of-the-box with the debian /etc/init.d layout, so I've
> made a deb of it all. I've also hacked a perl script to add the
> necessary chkconfig lines to each init.d script (chkconfig-convert).

Please!! do not add such an cruft to debian. Write and frontend for
update-rc.d or an script names chkconfig that explains update-rc.d,
but putting config under /var/config and and programs creating and
deleting symlinks, I may have created/deleted by hand are just
"The Wrong Way"(TM) to go.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link