Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:51:05AM -0400, Rene Weber wrote:

> Rene, who thinks that perhaps the best way out of this is to change policy
>     to read, "The location of all installed files and directories must
>     comply with the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), except where
>     doing so would violate other terms of Debian Policy, or in the case of
>     /sbin and /usr/sbin which we feel are just plain wrong."

no the problem with this part of the FHS is its hopelessly ambiguous
and can be interpreted either way for EVERYTHING.   i could argue that
adduser belongs in /usr/bin because a user can run `adduser --help'.

debian policy does not need to be changed, traceroute is NOT violating
the FHS.  the maintainer of traceroute interprets traceroute as an
ADMIN tool and thus it must be in /usr/sbin per FHS.

just because YOU interpret it another way does NOT make you right and
Herbert wrong.   BOTH interpretations are perfectly valid, thus
there is no need for it to move since either way its compliant.

if you don't like traceroute in sbin then take this useless discussion
somewhere where it can make a difference: the fhs mailing list.

debian can do NOTHING AT ALL to fix or change the FHS. as the FHS is
currently written there is no clear answer to where traceroute really
belongs.  you can't argue that traceroute is uncompliant since that is
NOT clear.

take this to the fhs list and stop filling our mailboxes with this
endless bitching.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/