Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:51:05AM -0400, Rene Weber wrote:
> >
> > Rene, who thinks that perhaps the best way out of this is to change policy
> >     to read, "The location of all installed files and directories must
> >     comply with the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), except where
> >     doing so would violate other terms of Debian Policy, or in the case of
> >     /sbin and /usr/sbin which we feel are just plain wrong."
>
> no the problem with this part of the FHS is its hopelessly ambiguous
> and can be interpreted either way for EVERYTHING.   i could argue that
> adduser belongs in /usr/bin because a user can run `adduser --help'.

*exactly*

<snip>

> debian policy does not need to be changed, traceroute is NOT violating
> the FHS.  the maintainer of traceroute interprets traceroute as an
> ADMIN tool and thus it must be in /usr/sbin per FHS.

My personal interpretation of traceroute differs, but you're right; this
can be interpreted as an admin tool and thus would not violate FHS.

> just because YOU interpret it another way does NOT make you right and
> Herbert wrong.   BOTH interpretations are perfectly valid, thus
> there is no need for it to move since either way its compliant.
>
> if you don't like traceroute in sbin then take this useless discussion
> somewhere where it can make a difference: the fhs mailing list.

That is a good idea; I'll bring up this issue on that mailinglist ASAP.

<snip>

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.