Re: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin

On 06/14/2001 07:50:37 AM Craig Sanders wrote:
>> adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to the default PATH would be a much better
>> solution. not having them in the path doesn't do anything useful, and
>> even as "security by obscurity" it's pretty pathetic.

I agree security by obscurity is pathetic.

However, your idea would cause acceptable results, but be unacceptable as a
solution.  Does not fix the FHS incompatibility.

We could stick all the ipv6 binaries in /vlm/wants/to/put/them/here and add
it to the default path, but the fact that it would "work" for end users
doesn't make it the "correct" solution.

How about a debconf selectable option:
"Select this for traceroute to be in it's traditional broken location as it
always was"
"Select this for traceroute to be in a user-friendly, FHS standard
location"
"Select this for traceroute to be in a user-friendly, FHS standard location
with a symlink to the old broken location"

Make option 3 the default for one release, then change to option 2 as
default after "awhile".

And/or replace /usr/sbin/traceroute with:

#!/bin/sh
echo "The program you ran has a bug, it has a hard coded path to
/usr/sbin/traceroute"
echo "Please file a bug, and or search and replace the source to change"
echo "/usr/sbin/traceroute to /usr/bin/traceroute"